Sunday, November 6, 2011

Back in Action!

I've finally done it!  I'm transitioning from my old blog to this family blog & I couldn't be more excited!  The old blog had slowly changed into more of a lifestyle and racing blog, so I wanted to create this new one for the new family racing adventures (more on that later).

Since I last posted, I turned 28, ran my 6th half-marathon, and watched my husband complete his first full Ironman.  It was certainly an exciting October.

Birthday weekend consisted of a family get together, watching the Kona Ironman World Championships online, a couple's massage, a little shopping, and dinner at my favorite restaurant!  Sadly I have been terrible about documenting stuff other than races lately, so no pictures!  I'll do better next time :)

My 6th half-marathon was an emotional race as I had been having ankle problems again.  These issues have been on-going for 2 years so it is infinitely frustrating.  For those interested, we believe it's a posterior tibial tendon issue.  I got a cortisone shot in my left ankle the Thursday before a Sunday race...for whatever good it did.

My long-standing goal for this race was to break two hours; however, with the worsening ankle problems I just wanted to finish without further injury.  It was a fun race geared toward women and I got to run it with a good friend who was in town for the weekend.  I felt great and had no pain until about the 8.5 mile mark.  I was taped up on both ankles, and I'm wondering if that was the cause of some of my knee pain on the downhills of the race.  And let me tell you, there were plenty of downhills, especially after the 8.5 mile mark.  Regardless, we made it to the finish in under 2:30 - not a PR, but I had to take the finish as a victory.  The weather was nice and my husband, best friend, and parents were waiting for me at the finish line.  I got a little teary from the disappointment of not reaching my original goal, but I am so glad I did it and figured out my nutrition - nuun tabs & a honey stinger waffle!



Next up: I'm married to an Ironman!

No comments:

Post a Comment