Friday, June 28, 2013

Ironman 70.3 Raleigh

I'm only almost 4 weeks late on this post, partially because I just don't want our May/June race excitement to end.  I was so glad to have Ironman 70.3 Raleigh to look forward to after Ironman Texas because I knew it would help with my almost inevitable post-race blues.  Going from the extreme excitement of the Ironman finish line to wondering what's next is truly not easy.  Even with IMRal on the radar, I still felt lost after Ironman.  It has turned into so much more than a sport or hobby for me; it truly is a lifestyle and admittedly, I'm obsessed.  This is definitely what I am supposed to be doing and who I am supposed to be.  I swam in high school but it wasn't until 2009 that I started doing half-marathons and 2010 that I did my first triathlon.  I certainly enjoyed my first few tris (sprints, obviously) but I wouldn't say that I was head over heels.  After completing my first 70.3, I figured I had found my thing, but, after completing my first Ironman, my love was confirmed.

So, here we are, almost a month after the final official event on the race calendar.  I've got a super sprint on the radar and plan to do another 70.3 before 2013 is up, but no specific one is set in stone yet.

I participated in my first relay for this race because of not knowing how my body would feel 2 weeks post Ironman.  So, I took this opportunity to do something that I've always wanted to do.  I swam the swim leg (in some of the choppiest water I've experienced) and then made my way downtown to volunteer at the finish line!

My swim went fairly well - about 3-6 minutes slower than I was hoping.  The chop was an interesting addition, as were the rolling waves (apparently wake from boats) that I could feel my entire body moving up and down with the water.  At least I happen to float, huh?!  Also, thank goodness I did not see the snake that was at the start line.  I only heard about it a few days after the fact.

After giving my timing chip to our team biker, I was off to the finish to get my hands on ALL THE MEDALS!

It was really neat being at the finish line as both Greg and Laura Bennett won.  Greg even took one of the medals to give to Laura himself as she came across the line.  I got to watch proudly as so many of our friends finished (including my runner teammate!) and hang a medal around many of their necks, most importantly of which was this guy :)

I'm so thankful to be involved in this sport and to love it so much.  And to be able to enjoy it side by side with my one & only makes it all that much more perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment